Skip to main content

An illuminated historical bridge with a diversified cultural program !

A remarkable architectural structure that is lit up every evening. In summer, this pedestrian bridge is transformed into a gathering place that hosts a variety of cultural events.

Built in 1894 and 1895, the Jean-De La Lande Bridge is made of metal with triangulated camelback girders, a structure of which few examples remain in Quebec. Assembled using an old technique known as pegging, it is one of the oldest bridges of this type in Quebec.

Originally built over the Saint-Charles River in the parish of Saint-Timothée, the bridge provided a link between the provincial Highway 3 and the eastern end of Salaberry Island, also known as Grande-Île. In the 1930s, it was moved to the Old Beauharnois Canal at Chemin Larocque. In 2006, to allow pleasure boating on the downtown portion of the canal, it was dismantled piece by piece before undergoing a complete and meticulous restoration. In 2011, it was reinstalled above another portion of the canal located opposite of the Marché public régional de Salaberry-de-Valleyfield.


Rue Victoria
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC

Google Maps

To note

Cyclist friendly